What to ask the eye care professional.
Your eye care professional will be happy to answer all your questions, so don't hold back, even if you think some may be trivial.
Here’s a guide of what to do and think about before and during your visit.
Make an eye care professional appointment:
- Describe any vision problems you may be having.
- Be sure to specify that you want a contact lens fitting appointment.
What to think about:
- Is vision correction affecting your activities or self-esteem?
- Do you consistently wear your glasses when needed? Are they frequently broken, lost or dirty?
- How interested are you in getting contact lenses? Are you motivated enough to take care of them?
- Have you noticed any eye problems such as blurry vision, flashes of light, poor night vision, or double vision? Do you have trouble tracking moving objects, judging distances, or distinguishing reds and greens?
- How's your general health? Be ready to tell the eye care professional about injuries, chronic conditions, allergies, medications, or operations.
- Does your family have a history of eye problems such as glaucoma, cataracts, or other ailments?
What to bring:
- Your current contact lenses or eyeglasses, if you have them.
- Your certificate for free trial lenses (exam and fitting fees not included) of ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses.
- Your vision insurance card (if needed).
What to ask:
- How is my vision? Is it possible for me to see more clearly? Will my vision stabilize?
- What are my vision correction options? What’s going to provide the best vision and the most flexibility given my activities and needs?
- What are the advantages of trying both contact lenses and glasses? What situations are best for each? What am I going to be happiest with?
- What do I need to do to wear contact lenses safely? Are there any long-term issues with wearing contacts? How many hours per day or days per week can I wear them? How will I know if there’s a problem?
- How much time does it really take to apply, remove and care for contact lenses?
- How can I protect my vision while playing sports?
And, of course, if anything is confusing during the examination, you shouldn’t hesitate to ask questions.